Charon C63P “White Paint” Internal Applications
The Charon C63P White Paint is a heavy-duty decorative flame retardant coating used on wooden substrates on applications from showrooms, factories, warehouses, workshops, garages. It is a water-based, high durability two-pack epoxy resin coating.
FIRE TEST STANDARD in UKAS-accredited Fire Test laboratory BS EN Class B s1 d0
BS EN 13823 (SBI): 2020
- Smoke & Gas “s” – s1 + s2 are none or very low & compliant levels, s3 moderate, s4 high smoke.
- 4 Flaming Droplets or Airborne particulates – dO is none, d1 = some, d2 = moderate, d3 = high levels.
Touch dry in 2-3hrs @20°C
Suitable for use on bare, unpainted and previously painted areas.
Mix Ratio A:B 100:128 Weight
Pot life: In excess of 12 hours once mixed
Cure time: 1 - 2 hours
Hard cure: Up to 48hours
Recoat time: 2/3 hours
Shelf life: In excess of 12 months
Appearance: Semi -Gloss white or other pigments
Lateral Flame Spread to End of Specimen? : None
Fall of Flaming Drop/Particle? : None
Flaming of Fallen Particle Exceeding 10s? : None
Both systems are two parts and rely on the acidity of the orthophosphate esters to form further esters with amino resins with the production of water. The fume extraction requirements are minor, particularly when compared to the requirements of the conventional solvent based, fast drying products. The formulation is currently solvent free. The only hazard is a negligible emission of formaldehyde during curing.
The Charon Coatings range are designed to supersede traditional 2 pack intumescent coating systems by overcoming the inherent problems with the older varnishes. These new coatings are more water resistant, harder, have a high level of gloss, don’t crack, haze or peel and are generally designed to be easier to work with than the existing systems.
Films based on Charon™ PCP produce their insulation char at far lower temperatures than conventional APP based products. The DFT efficiency of this formulation is equivalent to or better than the best-in-class conventional formulations.
The formulations are designed for brush, roller application.
The coating will be dry within 24/48 hours at room temperature, but it can take up to 3-4 days to fully cross link and reach ultimate hardness. To be ready to fire test the panels should be conditioned for no less than 21 days at room temperature. The material can be accelerated through a low bake, the exact temperature will depend upon the substrate. Be aware bubbling can occur if the material dries too quickly. Do not apply in damp conditions when condensation may form or below 4°C.
Native timbers should be sealed or knotted to prevent moisture ingress through the wood and to prevent any colour change. Particle boards need no pre-treatment. Intumescent Chemicals recommends that thermosets and thermoplastics are primed with a suitable primer prior to painting.
- Ensure surface surround is clean and thoroughly dry
- Remove any latency or slurry debris
- Existing paint must be firmly adhered
- If acid is used for surface cleaning, rinse to neutralise and allow to dry
- For previously painted areas, ensure existing paint films are sound and firmly adhering, check chemicals detail of previous coatings if known, test a small area to ensure a reaction does not occur, before applying.
- Remove all loose, flaking and suspect films, clean them thoroughly with abrasive cleaner, rinse and allow to dry thoroughly
- Store in tightly closed original container in a dry, cool and well-ventilated place
- Store in closed original container at temperatures between 5°C and 25°C
- Protect from freezing and direct sunlight
- Keep upright
Health & Safety
Please refer to the Product Safety Data Sheets prior to use.
For specific advice regarding any aspect of this product, please consult our Technical Department on 0330 135 9150 (option 2) or send a message to [email protected]
IMPORTANT FIRE PRODUCTS NOTICE: The information displayed on this website should be used as a guide ONLY and our Technical Department should be contacted to obtain a tailored specification and any advice necessary before you place an order for fire protection products. Fire protection products are non-returnable except in accordance with certain conditions detailed within the terms and conditions of sale. We will not be held liable for any resulting damage to property, human life or monetary costs incurred due to the incorrect specification you have prepared or use of fire protection products caused by your negligence, including your failure to have contacted us to obtain the relevant advice/specification.